MACOMB, Ill. (NEWS3) — The Macomb Fire Department shared some tips to keep families safe during the holiday season.
Curtis Walters, a Macomb firefighter, said there is an increased risk of a fire starting due to the use of more lighting for holiday decorations.
Walters said using a power strip could help reduce the risk associated with holiday lights and electronics.
“A lot of power strips come with a fuse built in there,” Walters said. “If they get overloaded, they will trip.”
However, Walters said that lights and decorations are not the only potential fire hazard.
“Probably at least 50 percent of the cause of fires during the holiday time is candle related,” Walters said.
Walters noted that a person should never let a candle burn unsupervised and to keep children out of reach of lit candles.