(NEWS3) — Local police are urging people to drink and drive responsibly as Super Bowl weekend gets underway.
Galesburg Police are reminding party-goers that they will be out in full force on game-day to keep impaired drivers off the roads and encourage more people to wear their seat belts.
Police said any Super Bowl celebration with alcohol or cannabis this weekend needs to remember, “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over” and “Click It or Ticket.”
“Because many Illinoisans watch the Super Bowl with friends while enjoying an array of snacks and adult beverages, it’s important that they plan ahead for safe rides home,” Lt. Dan Hostens said. “Even one drink or hit can impair judgment. You should never put yourself or others at risk because you made the choice to drive impaired. Just one is one too many.”
Galesburg Police gave these tips hoping people will heed the warning while having a good time:
- Designate a sober driver or plan to use public transportation or a ride service to get home safely.
- Walking impaired can also be dangerous. If you plan to walk, designate a sober friend to walk you home.
- If you see an impaired driver on the road, pull over and contact law enforcement.
- Have a friend who is about to drive impaired? Take the keys away and arrange to get your friend home safely.
- Hosting a party? Serve plenty of food and non-alcoholic beverages, and make sure all your guests have a sober ride home.
- Always buckle up! It’s your best defense in case of a crash.