By DYLAN SMITH, Sports Reporter
MACOMB, Illinois (NEWS3) – On a sunny day at Gold Hills Golf Club, 10980 East 900th, Colchester, 15 high school golf teams competed for a spot in the next round of the Class 1A postseason.
Up until two weeks ago, regionals were as far as the golf postseason was allowed to go due to COVID-19 restrictions. Now, sectionals act as the concluding round of the 2020 season.
Macomb was the number one seed going into Wednesday’s regional and shot an impressive 339. Peoria Notre-Dame edged the Lady Bombers by two strokes and went on to win the regional title. Since Peoria Notre-Dame and Macomb both finished in the top two team spots, they both advanced to next week’s sectional match in Rock Falls.
Being the number one seed, and West Central Conference (WCC) champions, the Lady Bombers wanted nothing less than a first place finish.
“It’s a tremendous opportunity that we have,” Brian Sullivan, head coach of the Macomb girls golf team, said. “ We were not sure if sectionals were going to happen for a long time. We’re really thankful that the state put it together for us to play another round of the postseason. We’re very excited to have the opportunity to play the next round of playoffs just to see where we stack up against the better teams in the state.”
As of Wednesday the IHSA has not announced plans for a state-finals match. Macomb travels to Rock Falls on Tuesday, Oct. 13, to compete in the Class 1A Sectional Meet.
Below are the results from Wednesday’s regional meet. The top four individuals not affiliated with the top two teams advanced to sectionals.
TEAM STANDINGS: INDIVIDUAL LEADERBOARD:
- Peoria Notre-Dame 337 1. Elaine Grant (IVC) 72
- Macomb 339 2. Addie Jennetten (PND) 77
- Canton 395 2. Laine Torrance (Mac) 77
- Illini Bluffs 401 4. Ella Coulter (PND) 79
- Illini Central 409 5. Mady Schutte (IB) 81
- West Hancock 415 6. Lily Vardaman (Mac) 83
- Elmwood 435 7. Ryleigh Moser (Can) 84
- PORTA 436 7. Bliss Martin (WH) 84
- Farmington 466 7. Ellen Meixner (Mac) 84
- Havana 481 7. Emma Geers (PND) 84
- Lincoln 485
- Bushnell-Prairie City 572