By YOLOTZIN FRANCO, Reporter
MACOMB, Illinois (NEWS3) — Knowing what to do when you have car problems can be essential when driving.
People rely on their cars to get from point A to point B. It’s their means of transportation, no matter the time of day, weather or season.
Here are some tips to know to be ready for the ride on the road:
- Check the weather before driving. If there is going to be a severe thunderstorm, blizzard or conditions aren’t safe to be on the road, stay at home and avoid the roads if possible.
- Drive slow. Adjust your speed if necessary when driving in rain, snow or ice due to lower traction on the roads.
- Increase your following distance. By doing so, one provides a longer distance if you have to stop.
- Check your tires. Make sure your tires are in good condition with proper traction. Tires should also be well inflated.
- Make sure you have enough gas in your tank. Try keeping your tank at least half full.
- Carry a spare tire, in case one gets a flat tire. Have jumper cables. One never knows when your car will run out of battery.
- Be prepared with blankets, snacks and a first aid kit, in case of an emergency.
- Always call 9-1-1 in case you are in an accident or stuck on the road due to weather.
Driving in severe weather can make many drivers hesitant but taking the precaution and knowing what to do when driving is essential in case of an emergency.